Monday, June 29, 2009

First of all: Congratulations James and Laura! The kids and I had the opportunity to travel via van to Southern California for my cousin, Laura's wedding. It was a great trip! There were quite a few things I realized about marriage that I was too young to really understand. I hope those things will help me in my and my family's life. The drive down was really nice actually! We woke up early so as to get the entire trip done in one day. Haden fell back to sleep, and Shay was in a kind of stupor until about Provo. This made it so I didn't have to start the movies until two hours into the trip. We stopped in St. George for lunch (half way there) and Kim got to see an old professor of hers that she really enjoyed. We only stayed there for about 45 minutes to an hour to let the kids rest, then we were back on the road! The second leg of the trip seemed like it would be forever at the beginning, but it went by rather quickly compared to my first impression. Shay took an afternoon nap, and Haden watched another movie. I was surprised that they only got in about four movies throughout the entire ride there. Needless to say, the kids were wonderful during the long drive! It took us 13 hours (almost to the minute) for the whole trip. This included multiple bathroom breaks and our lunch.

Once there, Kim and I took the kids for a much needed pool run. Mostly to see if they can get all of the repressed energy out so we could go to bed! They didn't take too long, though. The next day was a day for us. We went to the grocery store to replenish our snacks seeing as we would be coming home on a Sunday, took a long nap, picked up my parents from the airport (my dad flew in his little plane), then headed over to the Smiths' for a casual bbq to get to know the other side of the family. It was fun! We also got to help get the flowers ready, swim in the pool, and do a lot of talking. The flowers were incredible! There was a large 'casket' piece for the center of the pool, tons of orchids for the centerpieces, and an already beautiful backyard. They place was amazing!

The wedding was held in the LA temple in a sealing room right off of the celestial room, so we all got to wear our white clothes for it. The ceremony was great and the temple grounds were wonderful! Laura also looked incredible in her wedding attire. The reception was very well done, and the dancing was awesome! I think it helps to have a little dance floor. Then it looks like it is always full :) The drive home was just as good. Kim went with my dad on the plane while Mom came with me and the kids in the car. Again, the kids were great. I don't think I could have asked for better behaved children. It must have been because we told them we would be a long time. Otherwise I'm not sure the would have been so good. But they were, and the trip was great!

Now time to get ready for the family reunion in Provo with my family this week. *sigh* a never ending thing :)

No comments: